Job title: Chief Marketing and Merchandising Officer
Reports to: CEO
Salary Range: KY $105,026.00 to KY $118,827.00 per year
Position Summary: Responsible for leading and managing the full scope of marketing and merchandising including: market research and analysis, brand management, product development and product management, advertisements and promotions, web services; media relations, customer loyalty, public policy, the corporate image and corporate programs of the company; as well as responsibility for the Company’s retail merchandise, special events and food & beverage lines of business. This Executive level position is considered as an Officer of the Company, with the associated fiduciary duties.
General purpose: Energise the Cayman Turtle Centre: Island Wildlife Encounter [CTC] Brand: through strategic positioning increase market share of cruise visitors, stayover visitors, and residents; improve public profile of CTC and its research and conservation activities and oversee the role of primary liaison on various types of releases into the wild of captive-bred animals; provide market research and analysis to inform executive and Board decision-making; responsible for product and service development, effective pricing and distribution channels, aligned advertising, promotions and publicity, increased sales and net revenue in the food and beverage as well as retail side of the business, and outstanding customer service.
- At bachelor’s degree in marketing or related field is required.
- The candidate must have not less than ten (10) years’ experience of a leadership role in marketing in the tourism or hospitality sector or within more than one related business/industry with a company comparable to the size of the CTC, with previous experience in food and beverage as well as retail industry.
- Develop and manage a strategic marketing plan with a detailed budget for the business in consultation with the Executive Management Team (EMT) and Board. Ensure buy-in to this plan throughout the business. The plan is to include all aspects of marketing such as:
- market communications through advertising, promotions, tourism industry alliances website and social media
- corporate communications including PR, media, signage donor relations, corporate philanthropy
- branding and brand management; customer relations and customer loyalty programs
- market research, surveys; development and execution of strategic marketing and corporate image programs
- product management, costing and pricing, development and launch, performance measurement and enhancement, product lifecycle management, placement and sales channel development
- Develop and manage strategic and tactical plans and budgets for the company’s secondary revenue streams especially retail merchandise, food & beverage, and special events
- Implement and execute the strategies within agreed timeframe, with key financial and operating deliverables identified, measured and reported
- Proactively build, maintain, and manage the lifecycles of a competitive, profitable product line for each of the CTC’s revenue streams in close liaison with the Chief Sales Officer; ensure that all marketing and merchandising projects are delivered on time and within budget
- Manage the Brands (“Cayman Turtle Centre: Island Wildlife Encounter” and “Cayman Turtle Products”), Promotions and Public Relations of the company so as to maintain and enhance the reputation of the company and its brands among all stakeholders
- Executive level leadership, management and monthly performance reporting of the Company’s retail merchandise, food & beverage, animal releases, and special events lines of business
- Manage risk processes to deal with commercial and other business-related risks which might affect the brands and financial goals of the company
- Identify and progress further diversification opportunities for the business in keeping with the brands and the company’s overall Vision and Mission
- Develop measurable/appropriate research, questionnaires and survey methods; analyze the behaviours of customers and other stakeholders
- Establish credibility throughout an organization, with the Board, management and employees
- Performs other related duties as required
Essential skills and experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in marketing or related field is required.
- Accomplished marketing and merchandising professional with at least ten (10) years of successful experience at a senior management level with a track record of demonstrable success in the formulation and implementation of marketing strategy for customer driven businesses; managing marketing and sales teams; delivering, measuring and reporting results; and effectively managing budgets for both costs and revenues
- Technical skills in public relations, market analysis, product/service development and management, costing and pricing, and performance reporting
- Experience conducting and using STEEPLE/SWOT analysis, and a range of modelling techniques to analyse marketing information and synthesize marketing strategies
- Demonstrate a track record of innovative product/service development
- Demonstrated experience in campaign development and management, plus working with a range of internal and external stakeholders including channel partners and vendors (advertising agencies, etc.)
- Experience marketing/selling products or services on-line, on-site and through other delivery channels
- Knowledge and experience in the tourism or hospitality industry
- Confident and assertive with excellent influencing and persuasion skills
- Significant personal presence and networking skills with extensive senior leadership, collaboration and facilitation experience dealing with senior management and other stakeholders in a national and international setting
- Experience negotiating with and managing relations with third party organizations such as vendors, marketing and sales channels, tourism industry partners (hotels, cruise lines, transportation providers) and industry bodies (CITA, FCCA), academic/research institutions, etc.
- Proven project management skills with the ability to get buy-in and support for projects from diverse and often widespread stakeholders
- Strong customer orientation. Experience monitoring/measuring/evaluating /influencing customer satisfaction
- Flexible and able to operate in the context of diverse culture
- Leadership: demonstrated ability to lead people and get results through others. Proven marketing campaign and line-of-business development project management skills with the ability to get buy-in and support for projects from diverse and often widespread stakeholders
- Strong knowledge of industry best practices, market research, and “leading edge” methods of communication
- Ability to travel internationally and work flexible hours as required
Reporting to this position: Marketing Manager, Retail Manager, Head Chef and Restaurant and Events Manager
Physical demands and work environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: while performing duties of job, employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
General sign-off: The employee is expected to adhere to all company policies and to act as a role model in the adherence to policies.