Participation and being a member of the Turtle Nest Watch WhatsApp Group is a wonderful way to stay up to date on the Cayman Turtle Centre's nest implantation and hatchling activities. Our egg translocations with nest implantations are usually active during May and June and hatchling releases take place in August and September. To ensure we all have a positive and meaningful experience we ask that all members of the group adhere to rules of ethics and group etiquette. This helps to avoid annoying, insulting and/or upsetting messages and to preserve a good reputation of this group and its membership.
The purpose of this group is to provide updates and information about sea turtle hatchlings and sea turtle releases into the wild in the Cayman Islands.
Following are relevant rules of etiquette that must be followed:
- There are turtle lovers of all ages following this WhatsApp group, and we want it to remain enjoyable for everyone, informative AND a safe space for all ages to be in, so we can share our observations and stories on hatching turtles and learn from each other at any age and any demographic in a way that doesn't offend or embarrass.
- Therefore,It is mandatory that you keep the language G-rated "suitable for an all-ages audience". No vulgar, indecent jokes or language, no inappropriate images, no arguing, no heated opinions, no fear mongering, no hyped-up drama, no fake news. And as you should do on ANY social media channel, be sure to check your sources are accurate before you share!
- Don't SPAM the group! That includes sharing memes, advertisements or deals with the group. If you feel the urge to do that sort of thing, go and create your own group!
- This group is NOT the place for you to vent your frustrations about anything, to berate someone else or air grievances, nor is it an appropriate medium for you to use to bash, harass, or, otherwise attack or criticise any other person or corporate entity (there are several other social media channels and blogs for those purposes if you decide to do such a thing). For example, this means that if you have concerns about an individual or organisation whose actions or inaction cause you concern regarding the safety, health and welfare of sea turtles or other marine creatures there are specific officials and official channels of communication available to you but: NOT ON THIS GROUP!
- Please do post messages or images that are directly about sea turtle hatchlings and marine turtle releases in the Cayman Islands. If the post is not directly related, then don't post. While you may find a favourite sunset photo or recent share from a friend beautiful or inspirational these may be annoying. Group members are expecting each alert of a new message on this group, to mean there's something new that's relevant and positively beneficial to fulfilling, advancing, promoting and supporting watching and monitoring Cayman Turtle Centre turtle releases, turtle nesting.
- Please post your message in a single post as much as possible, i.e. avoid posting every word or sentence in a new message. You may find it easier to prepare your message to collate and even to parse it into paragraphs in Microsoft Word or Notes first, and then Copy & Paste it into the WhatsApp group.
- Please don't have one-on-one conversations in the group. Switch to private messages.
- If someone asks a question and you don't know the answer, don't respond with "I don't know". Just wait for someone who knows the answer to reply.
- Permissible timeframes for posting in this group are daily between 6:00 AM Eastern Standard Time and 9:00 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST = UTC-5 hours). That daily posting window corresponds to 1100 - 0200 UTC. The only exceptions will be if your post is a matter of urgency, such as alerting us to a nest emerging or some other matter that group members would be keen to know immediately (related to marine turtle nest emergence, hatchlings, or marine turtle releases!).
- It is considered quite compliant within the purpose and interest of this group for group members to post information and observations regarding wild marine turtles, their tracks, their nests and their offspring, so we encourage group members to share their notes and images.
However PLEASE ALSO NOTIFY THE DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENT DIRECTLY in addition to sharing these interesting posts within our group.
Simply call +1(345) 938-6378 which you might remember more easily on your phone as 938-NEST
- Please don't be offended if others leave. Not everyone wants to continue receiving this sort of information, and that may be for very different reasons so simply respect that they chose to leave the group.
- Of course, the continued membership of this group remains at the sole discretion of group administrators individually and collectively. The administrators are empowered to act individually to caution offending group members or may remove persons from the group without caution, who they consider have offended these rules, and at their discretion, they may deny additions of such persons back into the group.
- If you do not want to get audible alerts every time a new message is posted in the group:
Hit "Mute" on your WhatsApp group - You will still receive all the messages, but your phone won't buzz or make a sound for every one of them.
- So please let's share appropriately while always being considerate of each other in this enjoyable, informative "virtual village" of common interest that we call the TurtleNestWatch WhatsApp group.
Please CLICK HERE to join the chat
Please DO NOT use this group as a means of notifying group administrators to add new group members.
The smartphone MUST ALREADY HAVE WhatsApp working on it.